Targu Mures City Tour

Visit one of the oldest settlements in Transylvania, dating back to the 13th century. A city that has managed to preserve its medieval appearance in the city center. Literally translated as “market”, named and known as the “City of Roses” on the river Mures, Tirgu Mures combines (Hungarian: Marosvásárhely, German: Neumarkt) the best of the Romanian and Hungarian cultures. Numerous traces bear witness in this area by the presence of Neolithic cultures and the cultures of the Bronze and metal era. Archaeological excavations have brought to light Roman relics in the surrounding towns.

You can choose from:

Version 1

Objectives: guided walking tour of the historical and architectural sites in and around the city centre

Duration: 3-4 hours

Availability: all days (please call to check)

Price: 99 lei/group (up to 10 persons)

                    149 lei/group (between 11-20 persons)

Pick up/Drop off: from/at your hotel in Targu Mures

Version 2

Objectives: guided walking tour of the most important buildings: Prefecture Building (The Tower, with grate views over the city), Cultural Palace (The lobby and the stairs, The Music Hall, The Hall of Mirrors, The Secession Hall and The Museum of Art), Teleki Library (Main Hall), Medieval Fortress (including The History and Archaeology Museum) and a tour of the City Centre

Duration: 3-4 hours, starting hours from 9 AM to 2 PM

Availability: Tuesday to Sunday (please call to check)

Price: 99 lei/adult

                                 79 lei/student or pensioner

               59 lei/children

(Price/person with entrance fees)

Pick up/Drop off: from/at your hotel in Targu Mures

Major objectives (attractions):

Prefecture Building

Prefecture building was the City Hall for 55 years, built in Secession style in 1905, being also the first building designed to provide a new aspect to the urban center in the early twentieth century. The palace is distinguished by the 60 m high tower, built initially with the purpose of city fire watchtower. The architecture is in gothic style and supported by carved columns of marble and with stained glass in pastel colors.
In the tower of the palace is placed a clock with the dials on all four sides of the tower and its bell beats can be heard at every quarter of an hour. Currently, the building is the administrative headquarters of the Mures County Council and of the Prefecture.

Culture Palace
The construction started in 1911 and lasted until 1913. On the window glasses, there are illustrated sequences from Hungarian legends. The roof is decorated with blue, ruddy and white tiles. On the main fresco, the statues and the embossments are in bronze. The Mirrors Hall can be found on the first floor of the building. On the balustrades of the windows one can see the portraits of Kazinczy Ferenc, Tompa Mihály, Kemény Zsigmond and more. The most interesting and visited part of the Palace is the Mirrors Hall, which is above the entrance hall.

Teleki Library
The Teleki Library, founded at the end of the 18th century by Sámuel Teleki, chancellor of Transylvania, contains a large collection of first editions and important manuscripts documenting Transylvanian history, as well as mathematical and scientific works. Count Sámuel Teleki, closely connected to the Mures area through his origins and the fact that he spent part of his life at his personal residence in Dumbravioara (a village only a few kilometers outside of Targu Mures), had established here the first city library by making his 40,000 books – some of which were unique editions published by famous European printing houses – available to the public. More important collections were added in time, amounting to over 250,000 tons today.

Medieval Fortress
The medieval fortress from Targu Mures is a historical monument of great importance and value. It was built in the first half of the seventeenth century. The court of the castle-fortress had a plan of an irregular pentagon shape and six bastions. The castle was meant to intimidate any attempts of Szeklers disobedience. Inside the city were built several houses that were demolished after 1775, when the Habsburgs built a series of military buildings: barracks, ammunition storage.
These buildings were demolished in 1962 when local authorities decided to build an amusement park. The initiative failed because of the lack of funds and the works were stopped in 1973.



4.96